Our 80’s house had a very interesting main bathroom. Aside from the flaking gold faucet, the 6 gold towel racks and lavender paint, it had the quintessential faux marble, all-in-one sink, counter, backsplash combo. Even better, the florescent light did the “Buzz…. Click, Pop, ON” routine each time we flipped the switch. Awesome, I know.
While new paint, a new shower curtain, painted cabinets and a new light fixture went a long way, the vanity top was a different story. It was 65 inches wide, which is NOT a standard size. I realized that solid surface or other special order tops would be more than I wanted to spend, so we dealt with this top for over a year.
Because the size was going to make any project custom, I searched Pinterest for DIY options and found these photos for inspiration.
(Source – FarmHouse5540)
But I liked the thickness of this example, and this size is similar to our smaller half bath.
(Source – BeneathMyHeart.net)
I don’t own a planer, so making my own butcher block top seemed daunting. But while flipping through ads in the Sunday paper, I found a special at Menards for a 96″ slab for $99. I needed 65″ for the main bath. Our half bath vanity top that also needed replacing was 31″. Care to do that math??
*Cue Heavenly Music*
*Cue realization that we had NO ROOM for error.*
So, I bought it, and we proceeded to rip out the old top. Finally!
It only took a few basic tools to cut the butcher block down to size. (Cow print pencil optional, but highly recommended.)
I did some research and the best advice I found for cutting through the thick material was measure twice, cut TWICE. By cutting through slightly over half the thickness, then flipping and cutting through the remaining thickness it prevents the saw from pulling to one side and creating a crooked cut.
If you remember the math lesson from earlier, I had NO ROOM for error. So I measured, carefully and set up a DIY “fence” for my circular saw by first marking the cut line and then measuring the width between the blade and saw’s guide.
Then I set the cut depth to to just over half the 2″ thickness. Once that was done, I simply flipped and repeated the cut on the other side.
I wanted a square(ish) drop in sink and found this one from Kohler at Home Depot. We ordered online to get a slight variation (Single hole for faucet instead of 3) that was not carried in store and it was SO EASY. Not only did it ship free within a few days, but it came right to our door so we didn’t have to load and unload the heavy box.
The sink came with really great instructions on how to install and a pattern to cut the perfect size hole to drop the sink in to the counter.
Using a wide drill bit to get the hole started, I was able to run a jigsaw all around the opening to quickly and easily make room for the sink.
For the finish, I wanted a darker color so I looked at several options including stain, danish oil, teak oil and others. Since this will not be a cooking or cutting surface, I chose to go with a stain/poly combo and applied three coats with light sanding in between.
Once the stain was done, it was time to install. Repairing the drywall after removing the old vanity top was a project in itself that I had a little too much fun with, and I’ll fill you in on that in a separate post.
And there it is. I made a coordinating shelf out of reclaimed wood flooring and framed the mirror with painted pine to help complete the look. Our grey Duraceramic floor update also tied in really well.
That’s a wrap, I’ll also fill you in on how I built the shelf really soon. If there’s any other part of this project you’d like to hear more about, let me know in the comments!